Saturday, August 20, 2011

Winding down in Madrid

This segment of the trip has been a bit on the relaxed side. Thank 95-plus degree weather for the duration of our stay in Madrid, as well as the millions of World Youth Day participants and thousands of protesters. Here are some random thoughts and reflections about this vibrant city:

I'm utterly amazed by the efficiency and quality of work Madrid's waste department has executed. At midnight, the streets are scattered with trash - water bottles, papers, overturned ice cream cones, and countless other remnants of human indulgence. The next morning, it's as if no one went out the previous night. Well done, Madrid!

Our one splurge meal here in Madrid consisted of paella with various shellfish, bacalitos, bread and flan. It was 67 euros. The paella and bacalitos were the best I've ever had. For me, I think the most important part of the dish is the rice. This paella's rice was bursting with saffron flavor and was perfectly timed in the pot. Each grain of rice was its own grain of rice, in other words, it didn't mash together with everything around it. The seafood was as good as it could be, but the bacalitos were particularly fantastic. Lightly battered, pleasantly seasoned, and served with a sharp aioli. For about 90 bucks, no, it wasn't worth it. But I don't regret eating all that impeccable food.

World Youth Day has been quite an experience. I'm not an official participant, and for that, I say thank you Lord. They aren't lying when they say this day is for the youth. If waking up at 10, going out at noon and needing to come home at three for an afternoon siesta makes me an old geezer, then send me my discount card. It's hot here, and I'm sure at some point in my life I would have had the energy to gallavant around town with my friends belting cheers, waving flags and playing games. But like I said, it's HOT here, and when the day reached its peak temperatures at 100 degrees, that means it's time to find cover in an air conditioned luxary apartment.

This enormous gathering has made me appreciate the relative intimacy of LA's Religious Education Congress. The catechism is better and more diverse, as are the masses, and there you don't have to Marshawn Lynch your way though a crowd to get to a mass or major presentation.

I'm watching the final event of WYD on television right now. About 1.5 million youth and their holy, holy chaperones (God's got a special penthouse in Heaven for these people), are clumped in an old air base southwest of Madrid. The field is all dirt and people are wisely walking around with covers over their faces. But in 100 degree heat, that gets a little tedious.

The air is so dry here in the city, that after five minutes of being outside, I can't stop blinking. My eyes are afraid of drying out!

While I've enjoyed so much of this trip, I'm so ready to come home. In fact, I'm praying for rain when I touch down.

No comments:

Post a Comment