Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sistine Chapel Free For All

It would be absolutely awe inspiring… if people followed the rules. The last time I was at the Sistine Chapel, it was more or less silent. For me to take pictures, I had to hold my camera inconspicuously and take non-flash pictures. It seemed like there were more guards there, and that the place was more protected.

Flash forward ten years, and everyone’s talking like it’s a block party. Flash photography ran rampant and there were maybe ten guards in there at most. I can tell you, I got plenty of pictures this time. None of them flash pictures, but lots of them. Yes, I feel guilty, and I’ll probably go to confession when I get home, but who knows if I’m going to come back here or if the people I show the pictures to will ever get to see the Sistine Chapel.

Still, it could have been silent in there. Even if people were taking pictures. I believe silence would have made the place feel more like a chapel. Joyce and I thought they could play some peaceful choral music in the background – or better yet, have different choirs volunteer to sing in there – to entice people to zip their lips. I don’t think I got an authentic experience of the chapel this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment