Sunday, August 14, 2011

A jaunt to Trier


Today we got to take a little day trip with Adrienne. An hour away from Glan Munchweiler is the oldest city in Germany – Trier. Just before arriving in the city, the autobahn gained some elevation and overlooked this magnificent view of lined crops, a river and a distant bridge. It was a painter’s delight, and sadly, all I can offer you in lieu of a photograph is a brief description.


Once we arrived in Trier, I spent a very important 0,50 Euro to use the bathroom at the Mercure Hotel across from the Porta Nigra, which is Latin for Black Gate. The Roman gate is one of the most noticeable landmarks of the city, which was founded around 15 B.C. It also has an H&M.

We made our way past the gate and into the market square where flowers, fresh and fresh fruits are sold. Dozens of shops surround the square and line the streets from which the tourists flow. After my fifth Doner Kebap, Joyce and Adrienne wanted to go shopping at H&M. I stayed in the square to take more pictures.

Then a Body Shop caught my eye. I looked at the ashen state of my hands and thought now would be a good time to by some quality hand lotion. Better yet, obtain a free sample! And I did just that. I went with the coconut scent. Good thing they had pictures because all the labels were written in Deutsche. Unfortunately, the pictures didn’t include any visuals of the sparkling glitter infused in the lotion. I HATE glitter. I do not allow it in my classroom, let alone in my hand lotion. As I ignorantly worked the lotion into my hands, I began to wonder why my hands were sparkling. Stupid glitter. Yes, my hands shimmered in the sun, and yes, someone made a Twilight reference.

After surveying the shopping center and St. Peter's Gothic Cathedral of Trier, it was time for dessert. I don’t remember the name of the place, but they now hold a special place in my heart for the best cones ever. The cones were made of streusel! And they were warm, soft, yet crunchy on the outside. These cones have no match. Inside my cone was a large scoop of caramel gelato, a poof of whipped cream, and a drizzling of caramel sauce. Adrienne got the same thing, and Joyce got the other flavor I was interested in: hazelnut.

After the gelato, we headed back to Glan Munchweiler for one of Adrienne’s friend’s birthday. Manny ran the local bar/restaurant we ate at during our first night. We sat in a corner of the restaurant, and I felt like privileged company eating cake with friends, and friends of friends. It was probably the most home-like experience I’ve had on this trip. In all my travels around the world, I never got to share birthday cake with someone, and celebrate their birthday.

After cake, Joyce and I took one last stroll around the village. I think I’d like to live here or somewhere like G.M. at some time in my life. Everything is so slow paced. All the needs you have are met in the close confines of a village otherwise surrounded by trees, grass and a lazy stream that looks as if it’s getting nowhere not fast, but slow. And that’s what I’d like to do. Take my time and enjoy an array of presents, no final destination set. Life isn’t an A to B to C experience. It’s an experience of unidentified variables. We all have our time. What the use in rushing to get from one unknown to the next?

Oh. Did I just digress? That’s perfect because I need to take out my sink laundry and catch up on one and a half more days of travel blogging!

No comments:

Post a Comment