Tuesday, August 16, 2011

If World Youth Day came to Seattle

Disclaimer: Before I finish this statement, understand that I just got to Madrid and have no concept of what WYD is like with a broadened perspective. This blog entry is a first impression, and will likely change. Without further delay…

… I would go online and book a vacation beginning three days before and ending three days after the event. There is an incomprehensible amount people outside our window. Waves of people. I feel like I’m in Shanghai or Hong Kong. They’re flooding the streets. They’re crowding the trains. They’re chanting, singing and clapping. Every 10 minutes or less I hear the Italian national anthem outside my window. They’re dancing in public fountains. They’re piling up excess garbage. You want to go to a party? Come to Madrid right now, close your eyes, put your finger on a Metro stop and go to that station. Join in the dance.


If my beloved Seattle decided to host this epic event, our mayor should be fired. Talk about biting off more than we can chew. Seattle can barely accommodate its current population with its lackluster public transportation system. And if you’re a Joe Metro patron, I get it, you like the buses in Seatown, but trust me, you have no idea. Imagine going to work (just because a few million people are on vacation in your city doesn’t mean you’re on vacation) with four times as many people moving about the city. Maybe even more.
In a sense I feel bad for Madrid locals who have to put up with so many pilgrims for a week. I also feel grateful to them for allowing us to use their city, which by the way, has the best Metro system I’ve seen since Tokyo – though WYD won’t be happening there anytime soon.

Sorry to start off on what seems like a negative note. If anything, it’s more of a note of excitement. I can’t wait to go out and wade in the crowds and find out why so many people have decided to congregate in this one city to celebrate our faith and global unity.

No comments:

Post a Comment