Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Street Musicians

The imposing street musicians used to irk me. When I was last in Rome, I was appalled that someone would do something so nice as to provide a little soundtrack to my dining experience and then walk up to my table and ask me for money. The nerve!

Now that I’m a musician myself, see these people in a different light. The kind of light I like to be under. The one that can’t resist the urge to perform. I respect the talented people who come up to our table and share their gifts and talents with restaurant patrons or subway riders. They’re just trying to make a buck by playing what their mamas and papa probably made them learn. And loving music myself, I can’t help but share a strong sense of camaraderie with them, and even a slight bit of envy that they get to do what they love and make money for it in one of the greatest cities in the world.

So my philosophy is that if I feel like I’m in a giving mood, I tip my favorite. Nothing’s required. Only if I enjoyed the performance and I’ve got some change in my pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment