Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Feast of the Assumption


I was slightly distraught since I wasn’t able to locate JP2’s tomb for my dad, but in all that let down, and in regard to my notions that St. Peter’s seems more like a tourist attraction than a church sometimes, God brought me front and center and showed me what St. Peter’s is truly about. A mass was about to begin right in front of St. Peter’s chair – the absolute coolest place to experience mass, in my book. I put my camera away, looked at the official and said, “Messe?” He nodded and let us in.



The blessings continued. We were directed to sit down right next to the choir, four rows from the very front. The music was absolutely beautiful, and if you know me, my connection to the liturgy is very strongly music-oriented. It was fun singing in Latin/Italian (I think it was a combination).


This experience showed me what this Basilica should be like. The order of the mass cast over the voices of tourists and clicks of shutters. The tones of the choir and congregation reverberated throughout the basilica. I was in such awe, the goosebumps I gave myself cooled me from the heat of the day. Easily, this was my favorite experience in Roma. And no, I didn’t take any video or pictures. But I sure wanted to!

No comments:

Post a Comment